Last modified: [2.10.2017]
Department of Tourism and Commerce Marketing (“DTCM”) and its affiliates, including, but not limited to, Dubai Festivals and Retail Establishment, Dubai Corporation for Tourism and Commerce Marketing, Dubai Business Events and Dubai Calendar (collectively, “Dubai Tourism”, “We”, “we”, “our” or “us”) are committed to providing excellent service to all their customers, including respecting their concerns about privacy and taking the relevant measures to safeguard their personal information in accordance with applicable data protection legislation.
“Dubai Fitness Challenge”
means a 30 day fitness challenge taking place in Dubai.
(a) our website
, including any microsites contained therein; and
(b) the Dubai Fitness Challenge mobile application and Dubai Fitness Challenge web portal, both of which have been created and are operated on our behalf by our technology solution provider, and the Dubai Fitness Challenge dashboards, created and operated by our analytics solution partner.
As well as providing an events calendar and information on events/activities that form part of the Dubai Fitness Challenge, the Platforms sync with sports devices / applications and organize personalized exercise sessions or sports competitions and provide multimedia content. The Platforms will allow us to store, organize and process data, including, for example, identifying data such as photographs, first and last name, birthdate, email address, weight and height, within a database.
Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your information and how we will treat it. If you are not familiar with certain terms, please familiarize yourself with such in the key terms section of this policy.
and any other documents referred to in it.
Your privacy matters to Dubai Tourism so if you have any questions please contact us at
Acceptance and Management of Personal Information
To assist you in managing your personal information, we will provide you with a copy of all personal information we have about you should you request it (if you have provided us with your email address). Please contact us at
to do this.
In addition, you are able to update and amend your personal information at any time, or request us to remove you and your personal information collected electronically from our database(s) by emailing
Collection and Uses made of the information
We collect and use information held about you in the following ways:
Information you give to us:
For example, some of our services may require you to sign-up and create an account or provide personal information. In such circumstances, we’ll request personal information, like your name, email address, nationality, age, country of residence, telephone number or credit card to store with your account.
In relation to the Dubai Fitness Challenge, it is necessary to obtain and process personal information, including information classified as sensitive (for example, weight and height). This information, by its very nature, may be used to identify users through processing and matching with information held by third parties (though this is not the purpose of collecting such information).
We may use this information:
- to operate the Platforms;
- to display information about participating individuals and companies on publicly available leader boards, including posting name details provided to us, and you hereby consent to such use of your information;
- to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us;
- to respond to your questions, comments and requests;
- to provide you with services related to the Dubai Fitness Challenge;
- to notify you about changes to one or all of the Platforms;
- to ensure that content from our websites and our Platforms is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer; and/or
- for the uses set forth below under “information we collect about you”.
Information we collect about you:
We collect information about the services that you use and how you use them. This information may include (i) internet protocol address, (ii) device-specific information (such as your hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information including phone number), (iii) device event information such as crashes, system activity, hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and referral URL, (iv) cookies or similar technologies that may uniquely identify your browser or any of your Platform accounts, (v) information (including personal information) locally on your device using mechanisms such as browser web storage (including HTML 5) and application data caches. We may also collect and process location information when you use any of our Platforms through various technologies such as Wi-Fi access points and cell towers and IP addresses.
When information is associated with any of your Platform accounts, we treat it as personal information. For more information about how you can access, manage or delete information that is associated with your Platform accounts, please refer to the Opt-Out section of this policy.
We may use this information:
- for the uses set forth above under “information you give to us”;
- to administer our websites and Platforms and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to offer you tailored content;
- to improve our websites and Platforms to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so;
- as part of our efforts to keep our websites safe and secure;
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you;
- for market research and analysis purposes; and/or
- where you have indicated your consent, to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our websites and Platforms about goods or services that may interest you or them (see Marketing section below).
Information we receive from other sources:
We may combine information we receive from others sources with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We may use this information and the combined information for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
How we collect personal information
We also collect your personal information directly from you unless it is unreasonable or impractical to do so. We do this in ways including:
- through your access and use of our websites, apps or sending SMS/MMS to us;
- when you enter into a competition or promotion;
- through someone else who has provided us with your information (e.g. a gift subscription);
- during conversations between you and our representatives; and/or
- when you complete an application or subscription.
We may also collect personal information from third parties including:
- third party companies such as credit reporting agencies, law enforcement agencies and other government entities;
- mailing lists;
- recruitment agencies; and/or
- contractors and business partners.
Any personal information we collect about you will only be retained for as long as it takes for the purposes for which such information is required to be completed. If we no longer need to use or disclose your personal information for the purposes set out in this policy and we are not legally required to retain that information, then we will take reasonable steps to destroy your personal information or ensure it is rendered anonymous (i.e. turned into non-personally identifiable information).
Where you have indicated your consent, we may contact you for direct marketing purposes via post, telephone, email, SMS/MMS, push notifications, and social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter and Whatsapp.
This marketing may relate to:
- additional products and services we (or permitted third parties) feel may interest you;
- information about other goods and services we offer that are similar to those that you have already used or enquired about; and
- upcoming events, promotions and new products/services or other opportunities as well as those of selected third parties.
If you are an existing customer, we will only contact you by electronic means without seeking your consent in advance (including but not limited to telephone, e-mail, SMS/MMS, push notifications, and social medial channels such as Facebook, Twitter and Whatsapp) with information about services similar to those which were the subject of a previous dealing with you.
If you no longer wish to receive marketing communications from us you may unsubscribe by following the unsubscribe link in our email communications or by requesting us to remove you and your personal information collected electronically from our database(s) by emailing
Internet Protocol (IP) Address
An IP Address is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer every time you browse the Internet. When you visit our Platforms, the server used by our web host will make a record of your IP Address, together with the date and time of your visit, the type of Internet Browser you use and the URL of any other websites that referred you to our Platforms.
We may also log IP Addresses (the electronic addresses of computers connected to the internet) to analyze trends, administer the websites, track user movements, and gather broad demographic information.
We may also collect anonymous data (which is not personal information) relating to your activity on our websites (including IP Addresses) via cookies, or we may collect information from you in response to a survey. We generally use this information ourselves or through third party analytics to report statistics, analyze trends, administer our services, diagnose problems and target and improve the quality of our services. To the extent this information does not constitute personal information because it does not identify you or anyone else, we may use this information for any purpose and by any means whatsoever.
Links to Other Websites
Your consent for information we share
We do not share personal information with companies, organizations and individuals outside of Dubai Tourism unless one of the following circumstances applies (and by using our Platforms you consent to the following):
- With your consent
- For external processing
- Sharing with our partners
We may share non-personally identifiable information publicly and with our partners – like publishers, advertisers or connected websites. For example, we may share information publicly to show trends about the general use of our services.
- Where required by applicable law
Dubai Tourism will disclose personal information when required by any applicable law, or in good faith believes such action is necessary or desirable to comply with the applicable laws, or to protect, or defend the rights or property of Dubai Tourism, our Platforms, or their users.
- With selected third parties
We may disclose your personal information to third parties in the following circumstances:
- In the event that Dubai Tourism sells or buys any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal information to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets;
- If Dubai Tourism or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal information held by it will be one of the transferred assets;
- Agents, service providers and third parties who provide services relating to the purpose for which the personal information is collected including data processing services, whether or not such agents, service providers and third parties are based in the UAE; and
- any person who is under a duty of confidentiality and has undertaken to keep such data confidential.
Where we store your personal information
The data that we collect from you may be transferred to, stored and otherwise processed on servers located outside the country in which you reside and which may be based in locations both within and outside of the UAE.
Contact us with Your Questions and Comments
If you elect to contact us with any questions, comments or requests using one of the online forms that form part of our Platforms, you will need to provide your full name, telephone number and e-mail address so that we can be sure to be able to contact you. Depending on which online form you complete, you will be given the opportunity to provide additional information that will allow us to serve you better, although the additional information might not be required in order for you to complete and submit the online form.
You can also contact us by simply sending an e-mail addressed to
You may unsubscribe from marketing email communication sent by our Platforms at any time by following the unsubscribe link in our email communications (see Marketing section above) or by requesting us to remove you and your personal information collected electronically from our database(s) by emailing
. You may also set your browser to block all cookies, including cookies associated with our services, or to indicate when a cookie is being set by us. However, it’s important to remember that many of our services may not function properly if your cookies are disabled. For example, we may not remember your language preferences.
We will take all reasonable steps to protect the personal information that we hold from misuse, loss, or unauthorized access, including by means of firewalls, password access and secure servers. In particular, we review our information collection, storage and processing practices, including physical security measures, to guard against unauthorized access to systems, and restrict access to personal information to Dubai Tourism employees, contractors and agents who need to know that information in order to process it for us, and who are subject to strict contractual confidentiality obligations and may be disciplined or terminated if they fail to meet these obligations
Unfortunately, there is always risk involved in sending information through any channel over the internet. You send information over the internet entirely at your own risk. Although we will do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted over the internet and we do not warrant the security of any information, including personal information, which you transmit to us over the internet.
If you suspect any misuse or loss of, or unauthorized access to, your personal information, please let us know immediately.
Compliance and cooperation with regulatory authorities
Your continued use of the Platforms following the posting of changes to these terms will mean you accept those changes.
. Key Terms
Browser web storage
Browser web storage enables websites to store data in a browser on a device. When used in “local storage” mode, it enables data to be stored across sessions (for example, so that the data are retrievable even after the browser has been closed and reopened). One technology that facilitates web storage is HTML 5.
Non-personally identifiable information
This is information that is recorded about users so that it no longer reflects or references an individually identifiable user.
This is information which you provide to us which personally identifies you, such as your name, email address, billing information, credit card information, or other data which can be reasonably linked to such information by Dubai Tourism, such as information we associate with any accounts you may hold with Dubai Tourism.
Sensitive personal information
This is a particular category of personal information, which includes confidential medical facts, racial or ethnic origins, political or religious beliefs.